- The world doesn’t take 24 hours to turn on its axis, it really takes 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds.
- Oscar winner Tommy Lee Jones and Vice President Al Gore were college roommates at Harvard.
- Sink the Bismarck is the strongest beer in the world
- The irritating horn that performs throughout FIFA World Cup Suits is known as a "vuvuzela".
- Christmas was not declared a national holiday until 1870.
What is probably the largest living organism on earth has been discovered in the Malheur National Forest in eastern Oregon. A fungus living three feet underground is estimated to cover 2,200 acres. After testing samples from various locations, scientists say it is all one organism.
Officially known as Armillaria ostoyae, or the honey mushroom, the fungus is 3.5 miles across and takes up 1,665 football fields. The small mushrooms visible above ground are only the tip of the iceberg. Experts estimate that the giant mushroom is at least 2,400 years old, but could be 7,200 years old.
Previously, the world’s largest organism was another Armillaria ostoyae, which covers a mere 1,500 acres near Mt. Adams in Washington state.
Buy from Amazon.com - The Shiitake Mushroom Kit – Indoor/Outdoor Mushroom Growing Kit – Grow Edible Mushrooms & Fungi. Easy & Fun Mush Room Garden Patch Grow Kits